The Audi B8, with the 2.0T engine produced between 2009 and 2012 had a major issue with oil consumption. This kit is designed to replace the old-style components with their redesigned counterparts to remedy this issue.
On the Audi B8 2.0T between 2009 and 2012 they were produced with 21mm wrist pins and a fatal flaw with the piston rings. This caused an abnormally high amount of oil consumption. For the 2013 model year, Audi increased the size of the wrist pin to 23mm and also produced piston rings that were tighter to the cylinder walls. This includes everything you need to upgrade to the 2013 model year changes.
Audi B8 2.0T Piston Kit Replacement Symptoms
There really is only one symptom of the original-style pistons between 2009 and 2012 and that is higher than usual oil consumption. To see if this is an issue, you first have to verify that you aren't experiencing any leaks. From there, you can use Audi's diagnostic process outlined below.
- "The first step that was taken was Oil Consumption Test 1 which included an updated PCV Breather, updated Front Main Seal, and an ECM software update. Then through Audi Scan tools they would measure the vehicles oil on a level surface and record the measurement. Customers were told not to comeback for the complaint until their oil light came back on or after they drove 1,000 miles."
- "The second step that was taken was Oil Consumption Test 2 which included measuring the vehicles oil level on a level surface. With this measurement the Audi scan tools were able to determine how many quarts per mile were consumed. If the vehicle failed Oil Consumption Test 2 Audi would replace your engines pistons under warranty if their Technical Assistance approved it. Technical Assistance also would sometimes have the technicians send pictures of the spark plugs, perform compression tests, and perform cylinder leak down tests. If the vehicle passed test 2 Audi would not replace the engines pistons and say its within spec for oil consumption. However, people who passed at that time or the customers that were denied from Technical Assistance are now really experiencing the oil consumption issue and no longer have Audi coverage"
There isn't really a timeframe or mileage that this begins happening at. You can experience it from when the car was new, all the way up to the day it goes to the crusher.
If you decide to take on this job, it is one of the most involved of any kit we sell. Unless you're 100% comfortable, we recommend reaching out for professional assistance.
Audi B8 2.0T Models Applicable
This piston kit fits a variety of Audi models with the 2.0T engine produced between 2009 and 2013, including:
Audi B8 2.0T Piston Kit Interactive 3D Parts Diagram
- Unfortunately, we don't have a 3D parts diagram available at this time.
Parts Included with Audi B8 2.0T Piston Kit
- The list of parts in this kit is massive and too long to list here. Click the link above for the entirety of it.
Additional Parts Required with Audi B8 2.0T Piston Kit
- We make sure to include everything you need to upgrade to the new style of piston.
Special Tools Required with Audi B8 2.0T Piston Kit
- Audi Camshaft Holding Tool
- Audi Piston Install Tool
- Audi Timing Tool Set
- Audi Rear Main Seal Install Tool
Additional Parts Recommended with Audi B8 2.0T Piston Kit
- Since this kit is so massive, we've already included anything that we would recommend replacing while doing this job.
Aftermarket Upgrades for Audi B8 2.0T Piston Kit
- We don't recommend any aftermarket alternatives to this kit.
With this kit including so many parts, it's a good thing that it comes with our Lifetime Replacement Guarantee like everything else we sell, as there's a good chance something will need replacement down the road. Drive your car for another 50,000 miles or however long it makes it, and replace it again after using our incredibly simple return procedure.
In the video below, Aaron Davis, our Audi Catalog Manager, gets up close with just a pieces of this Audi B8 2.0T Piston Kit. If you're unsure if this kit is right for your car, you can verify the fitment by going to our homepage and use the vehicle selection tool in the upper left corner. As usual, if you like this Really Quick Product Review, subscribe and check back here for regular releases in the future.
Writer/Editor at FCP Euro and owner of a daily R53 MINI Cooper, a track-built R53 MINI, and a 1997 Dakar Yellow E36 M3 Sedan. ••• Instagram: @evan.madore