It was July of 2017 when we started our quest to find a Volvo S60 content car. We weren't looking for something that was "pristine", but didn't want a roach either. We also wanted something semi-local to our Milford, CT location and happened to stumble upon a perfect candidate just a couple towns over.
The 2004 Volvo S60 2.5T FWD:
So I pulled up to the sellers residence and began my list of questions:
- How Long have you owned it?
- What repairs have been done?
- When was the timing belt replaced?
- Does it need anything that you know of?
- How often was the engine oil changed?
- Any accidents? etc.
After the brief conversation he quickly mentioned that it had an ABS error message on the dash that read "ABS/Anti-Skid Service Required" which I quickly verified. He said that he was actually having a difficult time selling the car because most prospect buyers would easily turn away from the car in fear that the ABS issue would cost thousands of dollars in repair. To me this was no big deal as I planned on buying the car with the primary intention of fixing it anyhow, so clearly it was his lucky day.
After buying the car I had some time to think about it on the drive back to FCP Euro. What could be the issue?
Who knows? So I figured I'd scan the car with our icarsoft scan tool to see what codes we had in the system. This is always my first step in any diagnosis as it gives you a clear direction of where the systems are seeing a fault. I pulled up the BCM (Brake Control Module) on the scan tool and retrieved the code "ABS-0070 Power supply to the pump motor faulty signal."
So, no power to the ABS pump?
At this point I tried to clear the code, but it didn't clear.
Then, I tried to activate the pump through the scan tool, but it didn't activate.
So now, before I start pulling things out of the engine bay in order to access the ABS pump motor so I can check to see if there's power to the plug when I activate the component, I figured I'd check the fuse. I pulled the cover off the fuse panel, quickly identify which fuse is for the pump motor, and noticed that there is a 10amp fuse in place of the needed 30amp.
The fuse was blown. I removed the fuse, installed a 30 amp fuse, cleared the code, and voila, no more fault codes. What others thought to be a $1000+ repair ended up being a 10 cent fuse.
Sometimes you just have to keep it simple.
See our video below, and don't forget to subscribe for more free DIYs.