How to Fix & Reseal your Volvo XC90 T6 Angle Gear
If you're a Volvo XC90 owner, chances are that you've seen that notorious leak on the floor and splash pan. You get down on the ground for your routine oil change, remove the splash pan, look up, and your heart sinks into your stomach.
Where the hell is that leak coming from?
You quickly determine that it's not engine oil and it seems to be coming from your chain drive. Does it need to be replaced? Maybe it can be resealed? Aww man, that's going to cost me a fortune if I have someone fix it for me! Should I tell the wife or not tell the wife? Should I fix it or ignore it? How am I going to figure out what parts are even needed for the replacement? Well, that's why we're here. I've just put together a complete Volvo Angle Angle Gear Resealing kit to help you out with this one.
Here's a quick step by step explanation roughly explaining how to replace the seals and the steps needed for installation. This repair is not recommended for beginner DIYers.
- Remove seal 8636015 with a seal removal tool (a screw driver may also work, but be careful not to mark up the sealing surface ). Be careful not to damage the bearing seated below the seal. Lubricate the new seal with the oil provided in our kit and install.
- Make sure the angle gear is supported so that no pressure is on the input shaft. Once supported, you can remove the 8 bolts to lift the cover off.
- Pay attention! Find seal part number 8636016. Record the depth at which it is installed and then remove it. Again, lubricate the new seal and install it to the same depth as the original.
- Now lets work on the opposite side. Hold the Gears and chain in place and flip it on its side so that the gears and chain lay flat on your bench. Lift the cover off of the gears and leave them as they are. Remove seal part numbers 8636014 and 9480961. Flip the cover over to install the new seals.
- Lubricate both of the seals and place the cover back over the gears and chain. The cover should go on relatively easy.
- Hold the cover, chain, and gears in place, while flipping it over to install the new gasket 8636802. I know you're wondering, so I'll be clear that any additional sealant on the gasket is NOT required.
- Clean the mating surface of the outer cover and place is back on top over the bearings. Make sure there isn't any gap between the two halves and torque the bolts to 22ft/lbs, in a criss cross pattern.
- When installing the angle gear onto the angle gear, chain gear onto the transmission, and the axles into the angle gear/chain gear, be sure to install them straight to avoid damage to any of the seals.
- Refill with oil part number 1161745 to the level of the fill plug.
- Go over your work, make sure you didn't miss a step and take it for a spin. Once all is confirmed to be good, it's time to sit back and crack open a cold one. You just saved yourself about 6 hours in labor at your repair facility and learned something more about your beloved XC90.
Written By: Jay VanGorden
Jason has been with the company since 2011. He's been in the automotive industry for over 15 years and brings a great amount of automotive experience to FCP. He graduated from Universal Technical Institute of Exton PA. in 2005 and then went on to graduate from the Volvo S.A.F.E program in 2006. From there he worked at a Volvo dealership achieving his ranking as a Certified Volvo Technician in just 2 years, and a Master Volvo Technician in only 4 years. Jay VanGorden (Dr. Jay) is a Master Volvo Technician and Volvo Catalog Manager at FCP Euro. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org