The water pump and thermostat on your car are responsible for pumping coolant throughout the engine. On MK7 Volkswagens, it's incredibly common to have numerous coolant leaks stemming from your water pump and thermostat housing. There's a good chance you already have a coolant leak under your MK7 right now.
MK7 Volkswagen Water Pump/Thermostat Kit Replacement Symptoms
The main symptom of a failing water pump/thermostat housing on your MK7 Volkswagen is as your water pump ages, the internal bearings wear out, which causes noises and a coolant leak. There are a few other very apparent symptoms such as:
- Coolant leaking through the weep hole
- Play in the water pump shaft (indicating a worn bearing)
- Squeaking noise from the water pump at idle
- Low coolant light on instrument cluster
MK7 Volkswagen water pump/thermostat housings don't have a replacement interval but are known to have these issues and fail as soon as 25,000 miles.
MK7 Volkswagen Models Applicable
This water pump/thermostat kit fits a variety of MK7 VW models produced between 2013 and 2018, including:
MK7 Volkswagen Water Pump/Thermostat Kit Interactive 3D Parts Diagram
- We don't have a diagram available at this time, but it is in the pipeline.
Parts Included with MK7 Volkswagen Water Pump/Thermostat Kit
- MK7 Volkswagen Water Pump
- MK7 Volkswagen Water Pump Housing
- MK7 Volkswagen Thermostat
- MK7 Volkswagen Coolant Temperature Sensor
- MK7 Volkswagen Temp Sensor Retaining Clip
- MK7 Volkswagen Coolant Pump Drive Belt
- MK7 Volkswagen Flange Bolt for Balance Shaft
Additional Parts Required with MK7 Volkswagen Water Pump/Thermostat Kit
- Everything you need to replace your water pump and thermostat is included in this kit.
Special Tools Required with MK7 Volkswagen Water Pump/Thermostat Kit
If you pull your intake manifold to remove your water pump, you're going to need the tool to pull your fuel injectors.
Additional Parts Recommended with MK7 Volkswagen Water Pump/Thermostat Kit
We recommend removing your intake manifold when going to replace your water pump and thermostat. Because of this, you're going to need a new intake manifold gasket as well as a fuel injector reseal kits.
- MK7 Volkswagen Intake Manifold Gasket
- MK7 Volkswagen Injector Reseal Kit
Aftermarket Upgrades for MK7 Volkswagen Water Pump/Thermostat Kit
- We do not recommend any aftermarket or other brand water pump or thermostats.
It's a good thing that our water pump and thermostat kit comes with our Lifetime Replacement Guarantee like everything else we sell, as they will fail again at some point down the road. Drive your car for another 25,000 miles or however long they make it, and replace them again after using our incredibly simple return procedure.
In the video below, Jay Van Gorden, our Volkswagen Catalog Manager, gets up close with this MK7 Volkswagen Water Pump/Thermostat. If you're unsure if this kit will work on your car, you can verify the fitment by going to our homepage and use the vehicle selection tool in the upper left corner. As usual, if you like this Really Quick Product Review, subscribe and check back here for regular releases in the future.
Writer/Editor at FCP Euro and owner of a daily R53 MINI Cooper, a track-built R53 MINI, and a 1997 Dakar Yellow E36 M3 Sedan. ••• Instagram: @evan.madore