- 2 Min Read
- By: Evan Madore
Porsche 996 911 Coolant Expansion Tank Kit - Symptoms And Product Review
The coolant expansion tank on your car, although an incredibly simple component, plays a major role in the function of your cooling system. On the Porsche 996 911, these expansion tanks are known to be a weak point of the cooling system and should be replaced at the first signs of failure. If unattended, failure of the coolant expansion tank can cause the engine to overheat and do irreparable damage.
Porsche 996 911 Coolant Expansion Tank Kit Replacement Symptoms
Like almost every other contemporary car, the coolant expansion tank on the Porsche 996 911 is made out of plastic. Over time, this plastic degrades and becomes prone to breaking which leads to leaking. One of the weakest points of the coolant expansion tank is the seam along the entire tank. Luckily, symptoms are easy to spot and consist of:
- Typical white plastic turns yellow
- Coolant leak stemming from the tank
Porsche 996 911s don't have a recommended service interval for the coolant tank as it all depends on age and physical condition. Regular inspection during oil changes is enough to ensure that any problems are caught ahead of time.
Replacement of the coolant expansion tank is really straight-forward. It is low on the scale of difficulty and should take no more than two hours to complete.
Porsche Models Applicable
This Porsche 996 911 coolant expansion tank kit fits other Porsche models, including:
- 2005-2012 Porsche 911 997 Carrera
- 2005-2012 Porsche 911 997 S Carrera
- 2006-2012 Porsche 911 997 4 Carrera
- 2006-2012 Porsche 911 997 4S Carrera
- 2011-2012 Porsche 911 997 GTS Carrera
- 2012 Porsche 911 997 Carrera 4 GTS
- 2011 Porsche 911 997 Speedster
- 2007-2012 Porsche 911 Targa 4
- 2007-2012 Porsche 911 Targa 4S
Porsche 996 911 Coolant Expansion Tank Kit Interactive 3D Parts Diagram
- We don't have a diagram of the coolant expansion tank available at this time.
Parts Included with Porsche 996 911 Coolant Expansion Tank Kit
- Porsche engine coolant expansion tank
- Porsche engine coolant expansion tank cap
- Porsche engine coolant/antifreeze
Additional Parts Required with Porsche 996 911 Coolant Expansion Tank Kit
- Everything you need to replace your coolant expansion tank is included in this kit.
Special Tools Required with Porsche 996 911 Coolant Expansion Tank Kit
- There aren't any additional tools required to replace your coolant expansion tank.
Additional Parts Recommended with Porsche 996 911 Coolant Expansion Tank Kit
Since you will have the coolant expansion tank out of the car, it makes sense to replace the coolant level sensor if it has failed or if it simply looks old. Also, depending on what you find while replacing your tank, you might want to replace some of the hoses that are connected to it as well.
Aftermarket Upgrades or Genuine Option for Porsche 996 911 Coolant Expansion Tank Kit
- We don't recommend any other options for your Porsche 996 coolant expansion tank.
It's a good thing that our coolant expansion tank kit comes with our Lifetime Replacement Guarantee like everything else we sell, as the plastic will degrade and fail again in the future. Drive your car for another 50,000 miles or however long it lasts, and replace it again after using our incredibly simple return procedure.
In the video below, Eric Hirschberg, our Porsche Catalog Manager, gets up close with this Porsche 996 911 coolant expansion tank kit. If you're unsure if this kit will work on your car, you can verify the fitment by going to our homepage and use the vehicle selection tool in the upper left corner. As usual, if you like this Really Quick Product Review, subscribe and check back here for regular releases in the future.
Writer/Editor at FCP Euro and owner of a daily R53 MINI Cooper, a track-built R53 MINI, and a 1997 Dakar Yellow E36 M3 Sedan. ••• Instagram: @evan.madore