- 2 Min Read
- By: Evan Madore
Porsche 996 911 Crankcase Breather Kit - Symptoms And Product Review
The crankcase breather system is critical to the function of the Porsche 996. If this system, also known as the air-oil separator system is failing and left unattended, can end up costing a lot more than it should to replace. Our kit takes the guesswork out of overhauling the complete system.
Porsche 996 911 Crankcase Breather Kit Replacement Symptoms
All of the components of the air-oil separator or crankcase breather system are made of plastic, which degrades over time. When it does, it can introduce vacuum leaks, or even suck oil back into the intake. Some of the symptoms of a failing crankcase breather are:
- Smoke from exhaust caused by oil burning
- Oil leaks from cracked hoses
- Check engine light (CEL) caused by misfires
- Fouled spark plugs
- Damaged catalytic converters
Porsche specifies a regular replacement interval of 30,000 miles as preventative maintenance. However, you can usually get additional mileage out of it beyond that.
The crankcase breather hose kit isn't too difficult of a job, on a scale of one to five, this job ranks as a three. It should take you around three hours to replace.
Porsche Models Applicable
The kit shown in the video applies directly to these following years of Porsche 911:
2002-2005 Porsche 911 Carrera
If you own a 1999-2001 Porsche 996 911, we have another kit available designed specifically for those cars, which you can find here:
Parts Included with Porsche 996 911 Crankcase Breather Kit
- Engine Oil Separator - POR-99610702651
- Engine Crankcase Breather Hose - POR-99610714759
- Engine Crankcase Breather Hose - POR-99610620850
- Engine Crankcase Breather Hose - POR-99610714530
- Engine Crankcase Breather Hose - POR-99610622451
- Engine Crankcase Breather Hose - POR-99610622352
- Engine Crankcase Breather Hose - POR-99610717550
- Engine Crankcase Breather Hose Connector - POR-99610704700
- Engine Crankcase Breather Hose Connector - POR-99913705240
- Engine Cooling Hose Connector - POR-99610622652
- 2x Hex Bolt - POR-90037817701
- 2x Hex Bolt - POR-90037816309
- Hex Bolt - POR-90037803501
- 2x Hose Clamp - POR-99951263300
- 3x Hose Clamp - POR-99951256801
- 2x Hose Clamp - POR-99951249800
- Hose Clamp - AFT-90001755
- Hose Clamp - POR-99951255101
- O-Ring - GER-99970744640
Additional Parts Required with Porsche 996 911 Crankcase Breather Kit
- Everything you need to replace your crankcase breather system is included in this kit.
Special Tools Required with Porsche 996 911 Crankcase Breather Kit
- There aren't any special tools required to replace your crankcase breather kit.
Additional Parts Recommended with Porsche 996 911 Crankcase Breather Kit
- Everything we recommend replacing has already been included in this kit.
Aftermarket Upgrades or Genuine Option for Porsche 996 911 Crankcase Breather Kit
There is a dual-chamber motorsport version of the oil separator available. However, it's not a direct replacement and requires modifications.
It's a good thing that this crankcase breather kit comes with our Lifetime Replacement Guarantee like everything else we sell. Drive your car for another 30,000 miles and replace it again using our incredibly simple return procedure.
In the video below, Eric Hirschberg, our Porsche Catalog Manager, gets up close with this Porsche 996 911 crankcase breather kit. If you're unsure if this kit will work on your car, you can verify the fitment by going to our homepage and use the vehicle selection tool in the upper left corner. As usual, if you like this Really Quick Product Review, subscribe and check back here for regular releases in the future.
Writer/Editor at FCP Euro and owner of a daily R53 MINI Cooper, a track-built R53 MINI, and a 1997 Dakar Yellow E36 M3 Sedan. ••• Instagram: @evan.madore