Here at FCP Euro, we get asked questions every day about common automotive systems and maintenance. The questions are typically straightforward, and range from simple to complex.
But sometimes, we get some really specific questions, like: "Is a supercharger or turbocharger better for making big power?" and "What makes a supercharger whine?"
Rather than dismiss these questions, we wanted to ask them to our catalog managers as well as a few people in the company who don't know much of anything about cars....without telling them first, of course.
This week, Darren, G, JR, Ben, Nate, Kyle, Mike, and David answer all of your top questions about car superchargers. You can click the questions below to go directly to that point in the video.
- What are the three different types of superchargers?
- How do superchargers work?
- Do we like the sound of Roots-type superchargers?
- What European cars have superchargers?
- Is a supercharger or turbocharger better for making big power?
- What makes a supercharger whine?
- What is an aftercooler?
Headlights & Car Lighting
- What's the difference between halogen, LED, and Xenon headlights?
- Why are Euro headlights and taillights better?
- Why are some fog lights yellow?
- Wattage vs. Amperage?
- Why do headlights yellow?
- How do you know when a headlight is out?
- Why does water get in your headlights?
- What is the best brand of car detailing products?
- Are foam cannons worth it?
- What's the best product for removing brake dust?
- How many times can I wash my car before removing the clear coat?
- What is a car detailing clay bar and why is it important?
- How often should I wax my car?
- Can I buff this scratch/scrape out?
- What is the order of operations when washing a car?
Wheels and Tires
- What is offset?
- How do wheel spacers affect offset?
- Can you plug a sidewall?
- What is tramlining and why does it happen?
- What is the aspect ratio of a tire?
- What does a treadwear rating mean?
- Why shouldn't you run summer tires in the winter?
- What is "Hub Centric?"
- What is tire stretching?
- Why should I go staggered vs square stance?
- Why do some cars have four lugs vs five?
Naturally Aspirated Engines
- True or False: There is no replacement for displacement.
- What is VANOS and how does it work?
- What is the best naturally aspirated engine?
- What is the difference between exhaust manifolds and headers?
- What are individual throttle bodies (ITBs)?
- Can I use 89 octane in my car that requires 93 octane?
- Why do engines have a redline?
- What happens if I go past redline?
- What is a "money shift?"
Forced Induction - Turbochargers
- What does a turbocharger do?
- Why is an intercooler important?
- Why do people tune turbocharged cars?
- Do I want a smaller or larger turbo?
- What is turbo lag?
- What are the differences between single turbo vs twin turbo vs twin scroll turbo?
- What is a turbo timer?
- Why should you turn your cars start/stop function off?
- What's the difference between blow off valves and diverter valves.
- What happens when you over-tighten an oil filter?
- What happens if you don't change your oil?
- What is the recommended oil change interval?
- What oil filters are the best?
- Do aftermarket oil coolers do anything?
- What do oil specifications mean?
- What's the difference between motor oil and cooking oil?
- How do you know if you have air in your brake lines?
- What is the proper way to bleed brakes?
- Is it difficult to bleed brakes alone?
- What is bedding brakes and is it necessary?
- Why do some brake pads rattle and have to be glued?
- What is brake bias?
- What is coolant and how long should it last?
- How do you know which coolant to run?
- Which is better: Silicone or OEM rubber hoses?
- What happens when your car overheats?
- Why do track cars run straight water?
- What is a coilover suspension?
- Should you run coilovers or lowering springs?
- Polyurethane bushings or OEM rubber bushings?
- How much camber is too much camber?
Like our new You Ask, We Answer series? Don't like it? Let us know in the comments below. And don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel to stay up to date with all the upcoming episodes.
Writer/Editor at FCP Euro and owner of a daily R53 MINI Cooper, a track-built R53 MINI, and a 1997 Dakar Yellow E36 M3 Sedan. ••• Instagram: @evan.madore